Malware is a type of program (software or code) which gets installed onto a computer without the user either knowing or giving permission. The purpose of this program is to carry out unwanted actions on the computer - usually for someone elses benefit. Malware includes viruses, spyware and adware.
Advice for teachers and pupils:
- Always be aware of how your computer is behaving. Unusual activity could mean a malware attack is happening.
- Install a pop-up blocker and decent firewall, and ensure your emails have a spam guard included.
- Set up your browser setting so that it tells you if a program attempts to download.
- Don't download applications or files from untrustworthy sites.
- Be careful when exchanging files/programs with people, if there is malware in a file on the original computer, it will transfer onto yours.