Teachers need to become experts in offering age-appropriate advice and guidance to their classes, and parents, with regard to the following areas:
- Unwanted internet contact
- Inappropriate internet content
- Mobile phones and devices
In the case of privacy, teachers need to be aware of:
- How to ensure social networking content stays private and doesn’t end up in search results years later.
- How to ensure passwords are strong, password-protected information, such as banking details or parental online shopping details remain safe.
- How to prevent and deal with junk mail and spam, and also how to spot internet scams and ‘phishing’ emails and messages.
- How websites store and track data which might be used for valid marketing reasons, or abused to create spam or facilitate identity theft.
For advice in the other 3 areas download this term's report What every teacher needs to know about E-safety, available free to Bronze members.